10 benefits of Marañón or Nuez de la India
The marañón, also known as merey, nuez de la India, anacardo, cashew, among others, is a type of nuez originating from the tree western anacardium, which is an excellent ally for health by containing antioxidants and being rich in good fats for the heart and in minerals such as magnesium, hierro, selenium and zinc, which prevent anemia and improve the health of the skin, the nails and the hair . For this reason, consuming around 30 grams a day can be an excellent way to supplement nutrients on a daily basis.
This dried fruit can be included in lunches and salads, it can be consumed in the form of untable butter or can be added as ingredients in other preparations, being consumed in small portions due to its high calorie intake.
The benefits of marañón are due to its content of important nutrients for the health of the organism, which is why it could:
- Prevent premature aging, because it is rich in antioxidants such as polyphenols, carotenoids and vitamin E that prevent the damage that causes free radicals to the cells;
- Prevent heart diseasebecause it contains mono and polyunsaturated fats, fibers and antioxidants that favor the increase of “good” HDL cholesterol and help to reduce the bad “LDL” cholesterol;
- Regulate the sugar in the bloodbecause it is rich in fibers that delay the absorption of sugars, avoiding blood glucose spikes, and could reduce the secretion of insulin, being an excellent option for people with diabetes or insulin resistance;
- improve memory, because it contains selenium, a micronutrient that acts as an antioxidant and prevents the damage caused by free radicals to the cells of the brain. In addition, it also contains vitamin E that could help prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s;
- Prevent or improve depression because it is rich in zinc, according to some scientific studies, it is a mineral whose deficiency has been associated with this condition;
- Reduce blood pressure, body pain, headache, migraine and muscle fatigue, It is a good source of magnesium and has anti-inflammatory properties;
- Strengthen the immune system, pues containing zinc, vitamin E and A;
- prevent osteoporosis, because it contains calcium and phosphorus, being these minerals important to maintain or increase the bone density;
- Prevent and treat anemia, pues are rich in hierro and folic acid;
- Maintain skin health, hair and nails, because it contains copper, selenium, zinc and vitamin E, nutrients that are essential to protect the skin, favor the growth and hardening of the nails and improve the blood circulation of the scalp.
Despite its benefits, marañón should be consumed in small portions because it provides high calories and, in excess, could favor weight gain. This dried fruit can be bought in supermarkets, municipal markets and natural products stores.
Nutritional information of the maranón
The following table shows the nutrients contained in 100 g of marañón:
|components||Quantity in 100 g|
|Vitamin A||1 mcg|
|Vitamin E||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.42 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.16 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.41 mg|
|Vitamin B9||68 mcg|
It is important to mention that in order to obtain all the benefits mentioned above, marañón must be included in a balanced and healthy diet.
How to include marañón in the diet
The marañón can be consumed in small portions, about 30 g per day, and preferably it comes without salt. This dried fruit can be included in snacks along with other foods, such as fruits and yogurts, in addition to being able to be added to salads and recipes such as pasteles, panes and galletas.
In addition, the marañón can be crushed or purchased in the form of harina to be used in recipes and also in the form of butter for greasing.
How to prepare marañón butter
To prepare the marañón butter, simply place 1 cup of this dried fruit unpeeled and toasted in the blender until it forms a creamy paste, which must be stored in a container with a lid in the fridge.
In addition to this, it is possible to leave the pasta with more salad or more sweet to taste, it can be a salad by adding a little salt or sweeter if you add a little corn, for example.
Pan de maranón recipe
As it is a food rich in good fats, marañón is an excellent option to help slimming and can be present in low-carb diets. Here’s how to prepare a delicious wholemeal bread with this dried fruit:
- 1 and 1/2 cup of marañón harina;
- 1 spoonful of linaza harina;
- 1 teaspoon of salt;
- 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate;
- 1 spoonful of sunflower seeds;
- 2 spoonfuls of chopped marañón;
- 3 huevos;
- 2 spoonfuls of honey;
- 1 tablespoon of manzana vinegar;
- 1 spoonful of fresh hierbas, such as romero and tomillo;
- Butter to grease the mould.
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the eggs. In another container, beat the eggs with a tenedor and add them to the other ingredients. Pour the mixture into a rectangular mold for bread, greased with butter, and take it to the preheated oven at 180ºC for approximately 30 minutes.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.